Thursday, May 19, 2011

Clikstand in Garrapata

It was a fine day at the Garrapata State Park, 10 minutes south of Carmel, next to the Pacific Ocean. The sun was bright, but the wind was cool.

On the way, I collected the images of pretty things. Thisels boasted of the new fashion. California Poppies were happy to greet me. An unknown, tiny white flower demanded my attention. Then I crashed the party pad for some bugs. They did not care. A lone Poppy was enjoying the commanding view. I hope I did not disturb the suntan session for this little guy.

Unfortunately, because CA government could not come up with $22M, 70 State Parks are going to close, come September. Garrapata is one of the parks. Too bad. Some people wanted to keep these parks from the closure, but the CA Proposition 21 was soundly defeated, and this is the result. The Prop. 21 called for $18 increase in the motor vehicle registration. Mere $18 per year. Yet it was defeated. You go to a movie, and you spend more than $18 nowadays. It is just a pitiful state of mentality that keeps the good things from the public. Of course, CA residents have more grand and worthy things to accomplish with the annual savings of $18. Silly me. Who wants to visit State Parks, when they can visit the malls and night clubs?

Well, I will just wash off these thoughts with something hot. This is the Clikstand, an alcohol stove that uses Trangia burner. This is manufactured in Truckee, CA. The cool wind was pretty steady and strong, climbing up the hill from the Pacific. The pot was Snow Peak 1400. I would say it is a good combo: everything fits inside the pot.

As it turned out, its performance on the wind-swept hillside that day made its owner proud. With the windscreen on, the stove boiled the quart in 12 minutes. This is a performance, comparable to Trangia 25 or 27. Yet this is compact and light. Can't go wrong with that. Gram Weenies, take a look at this setup, next time. I bet you will have a hard time duplicating its performance, not to mention the elegance of the setup.

On the way down, I snapped a few pictures. A cute bunny was having an early dinner. At the coast, I watched the waves caress the rocks. Hope this place stays open.

No comments:

Post a Comment