Wednesday, June 22, 2011

SIGG Inoxal Alcohol Cookset and Trangia 25 Duossal

Have you ever tried to cook your meal in outdoors, and found out you could not, because the wind was too darn strong, and you did not have anything to prop up to block out the wind?

Well, let me tell ya.

I want you to take a look at these beauties: SIGG Inoxal and Trangia 25 Duossal.  Unfortunately, they are no longer made, but you can still buy Trangia 25 and 27 (smaller cousin) in various (plain aluminum, non-stick aluminum, anodized aluminum, and ultra-light version).  What these enigmatic designators, Inoxal, or Duossal, mean is that the pot is constructed with stainless steel inside and aluminum outside.  Aluminum spread the heat evenly, therefore reducing the chance to burn food, and stainless inside is durable, and you can use a metal spoon.  But I use only wooden or heat-resistance plastic utensil, anyway.  Why put scratches on the pot for no reason?  Check out the paint job.


What this type of alcohol cookset does well is to cook in all weather.  The cookset cooks with an alcohol burner that burns for about 30 minutes with one filling.  That is enough for any kind of cooking outdoors.  It takes a little longer to boil a quart than, say, when you are using gas or liquid fuel stove, because alcohol has one half of the energy of the above-mentioned fuel types.  But any stove will have a longer boil time without a proper windscreen, and these alcohol stoves will get there surely for you, rain or wind.

The SIGG product appears to have been better made than Trangia product.  The stainless material seems heavier, and it comes with the black paint coating that absorbs heat.  The stainless steel is well polished, and there is no blemish.  Only it discolored, when it was used for the first time.  So what, I never intended it to be a museum piece.  I would have to see it go to eBay unused, after I die.  SIGG is slightly bigger than Trangia product.  I switched its own alcohol burner with Trangia burner, because I thought Trangia burner was more convenient to simmer with its own simmer ring.  Also the pot holder is Primus brand, and I took it from another Primus cookset, because it is well made.

Now, take a look at Trangia 25 Duossal:






The Trangia 25 Duossal is very similar to SIGG, but the pots exhibit the faint evidence that they had gone under the massive pounds per square inch.  The final finish is not as neat or polished as that of SIGG, but you will know that this is a product with a serious quality, nevertheless.

The SIGG had been subjected to the backyard initial cooking test, but I think I will hold off on Trangia 25 Duossal.  I have other versions of 25 which I had fired off without a second thought.  So, I will just leave it in the box for now.

Here are some shots of SIGG doing what it is supposed to.  See the pot holder?  It is by MSR.  The noodle is a Korean version of Udon.  I added the chopped green onion for the enhanced flavor.  What?  You cannot have the spicy stuff?  It gives you a fiery run?  Wow, dude!  A man may go celibate, but not without the spicy food!  I forget its brand name, but it was delish!


2 comments:

  1. Where ever did you find the duossal and inoxal cooksets? I can tell you, I've been looking everywhere to get a complete and full set, ever since I bought a mini sigg inoxal cookset (only 1 750ml pot + lid/pan). Great review - true to what I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, would you be interested in selling the trangia 25 duossal? id pay a very good price for it. if interested crunch139 at me d0t com.

    ReplyDelete